A few days ago I finally got around to setting up a more permanent base for the solar food dehydrator which is something I've wanted to do for a week or so. I used two concrete blocks as a solid, level base for the milk cartons and drying cabinet to sit on and then put bricks and large rocks in each milk carton to make a more solid structure. The only difficult part was leveling out the concrete blocks.
I also decided to try the new fan assembly on the underside of the drying cabinet instead of on the top of the heat collection box. So now instead of pushing hot air up the tube, it's pulling the air up.
We left Halifax in the pouring rain early on Saturday morning. And it wasn’t just a little downpour, it was raining elephants and barnyard animals and all three of us were questioning our decision to go camping for the night. But I have a philosophy on bad weather that keeps me going and it’s to remind myself that I live in Nova Scotia and if I let the rain dictate my life then I’m not going to get much of anything done.
The weather is finally warm enough to try drying some apples in the solar dehydrator so I managed to get some sliced up this morning before work. Unfortunately I only have 2 drying racks at the moment so I was only able to slice up a few apples. I’ve been using old picture frames with door screen stretched across them for drying racks but it’s difficult to find them in the correct size.