A few days ago I finally got around to setting up a more permanent base for the solar food dehydrator which is something I've wanted to do for a week or so. I used two concrete blocks as a solid, level base for the milk cartons and drying cabinet to sit on and then put bricks and large rocks in each milk carton to make a more solid structure. The only difficult part was leveling out the concrete blocks.
I also decided to try the new fan assembly on the underside of the drying cabinet instead of on the top of the heat collection box. So now instead of pushing hot air up the tube, it's pulling the air up.
The weather is finally warm enough to try drying some apples in the solar dehydrator so I managed to get some sliced up this morning before work. Unfortunately I only have 2 drying racks at the moment so I was only able to slice up a few apples. I’ve been using old picture frames with door screen stretched across them for drying racks but it’s difficult to find them in the correct size.
With the weather getting warmer I've been thinking about setting up my solar food dehydrator for another year. Unfortunately it's still not warm enough in this part of the world so to keep myself busy I build this little fan add-on that I'm excited to try out on the dehydrator.
It all started a few years ago when a friend was throwing out an old window and I wondered what I could use it for. I had read about different solar collectors and figured I could cobble together enough parts to make something. This is the result,.... The only things I bought for the setup were: